UNICEF‘S EMERGENCY REPSONSE
UNICEF delivered emergency relief in the aftermath of the Ya’an Earthquake. UNICEF will continue to support reconstruction work in the affected areas.
|– Re-established Cold chain in earthquake zone to support the recovery and strengthening of routine immunisation work.
– From 6 to 12 May, held a week-long Hepatitis A and Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) immunisation campaign for 20,000 children between ages of 8 months and 14 years, with cold chain and immunisation equipment procured.
– Provided cold rooms, freezers, vaccine carriers, computers etc. to county and township-level Expanded Programme of Immunisation (EPI) clinics.
– Supported local counterparts in EPI campaigns with awareness-raising to encourage parents to bring their children for vaccination.
– Made use of local resources to model educational, recreational and community activities and provide social-work-like services.
– UNICEF will explore the support to the establishment and operation of county-level social work resource centres in Lushan, Baoxing and Tianquan. Professional social workers of the centres will provide needs assessments, regular home visits, and case management for children and youth.
– UNICEF will also conduct seminars and training workshops on integrating and improving the role of social work in post-earthquake response and reconstruction.